bvstone

Update for Google WorkSpace Accounts (2024): Google Dropping Support for "Less Secure Apps" May 30th, 2022. What Does This Mean for Your IBM i Email?

Posted:

Update for Google WorkSpace Accounts (2024): Google Dropping Support for

Update for Google Workspace Accounts - 2024

As predicted Google is announcing the end of user/password authentication for Google Workspace accounts.  Having removed this option for normal "Gmail" accounts in 2022, this was a logical followup.  Here is more info:

https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com/2023/09/winding-down-google-sync-and-less-secure-apps-support.html

This means that the options you have for sending email with GMail would require OAuth 2.0 or the use of 2FA and an application key (not recommended by Google).

How Do I Switch From MAILTOOL Plus to GreenTools for Google (OAuth 2.0) or Microsoft Office 365?

On May 30th, 2022, Google has announced that they are dropping support for "Less Secure Apps".

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

Basically what this means is that if you are using an application or program that sends email from  a GMail account (ie, BobSmith@gmail.com) and that application uses the account's user ID and password for authentication, well, it will cease working on May 30th, 2022.

From the announcement it doesn't apply to Google Workspace accounts (where you have your email sending from your domain but still using the Google Mail servers).  But I am sure that will come in the future.

So how does this apply to sending email from the IBM i?

Simple... if you are sending email using a basic GMail account (ending in gmail.com) you will need to find another way to send emails that uses a process such as OAuth 2.0.  I haven't seen any offerings in the IBM SMTP server that will allow this, but luckily for MAILTOOL users (and users of other 3rd party email apps that create a MIME file) they can use the GreenTools for Google Apps (G4G) Send Email Addon (G4GSMAIL).

This will require the licensing of the base G4G product, GETURI (if you don't already have a license) as well as the G4GSMAIL addon for sending emails.

In order to use the G4GSMAIL Addon to send emails with MAILTOOL, you would follow these steps:

1. Download and install GreenTools for Google Apps (G4G).
  2. Apply license keys (temporary for testing, or normal keys if you've already purchased them) for G4G, G4GSMAIL and GETURI.
  3. Register the account(s) that will be used to send emails from your IBM i using the G4GREGSVC (Register Service) command to register the *G4GSMAIL service. 
  4. Make sure that MAILTOOL and G4G libraries are in your library list.
  5. Once that is complete, all you need to do is specify the following parameter on the MAILTOOL command:

SENDWITH(*G4GSMAIL)

6. This will do all the heavy lifting in the background for the required OAuth 2.0 functionality, including renewing any authentication tokens.

Here's a video showing that process of registering and then using MAILTOOL to send an email using G4GSMAIL.  Now, this example does use my bvstools.com account to send (which uses GMail) but this will, for now, mainly apply to basic GMail accounts, or those ending in gmail.com.  The process will still be the same.

If you wish to use 3rd party email applications or your own email software and still take advantage of the OAuth 2.0 functionality of G4GSMAIL, there are standalone ILE functions available in the G4G package.  You will simply need to have your email software pass the MIME file it creates to the function to send the email.  See this article for more information.

Are There Any Other Options?

Yes.  It appears Google also allows you to set up Application Passwords, which also requires turning on 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) but is not recommended unless necessary.  See this article for more information.  

Also see this article: How Do I Switch From MAILTOOL Plus to GreenTools for Google or Microsoft Office 365?

Last edited 01/19/2024 at 07:21:59

Latest Posts:

Update for Google WorkSpace Accounts (2024): Google Dropping Support for Update for Google WorkSpace Accounts (2024): Google Dropping Support for "Less Secure Apps" May 30th, 2022. What Does This Mean for Your IBM i Email?
Posted by January 19, 2024
BVSTools >> BVSTools Software Discussion >> Email Tools (MAILTOOL) Specific Discussion
Sales By State Report in QuickBooks Online Sales By State Report in QuickBooks Online
Posted by January 13, 2024
QuickBooks >> QuickBooks Online
How to Whitelist GreenTools for G Suite (G4G) For Your Organization How to Whitelist GreenTools for G Suite (G4G) For Your Organization
Posted by November 5, 2023
BVSTools >> BVSTools Software Discussion >> GreenTools for G Suite (Google Apps) (G4G) Specific Discussion
QuickBooks Online Releases QuickBooks Online Releases "New Invoices!"... and It's Terrible!
Posted by October 8, 2023
Admin/4i - What is it? Admin/4i - What is it?
Posted by September 30, 2023
Vendor Corner >> MSD Information Technology
BVSTools Releases Send Job Log to BVSTools (SNDLOG2BVS) Command BVSTools Releases Send Job Log to BVSTools (SNDLOG2BVS) Command
Posted by August 28, 2023
BVSTools >> BVSTools Announcements
MAILTOOL Now Allows Email Redirection for Development and Testing MAILTOOL Now Allows Email Redirection for Development and Testing
Posted by May 27, 2023
BVSTools >> BVSTools Announcements >> eMail Tool (MAILTOOL) Specific Announcements
GreenTools for Microsoft Apps (G4MS) Now Supports Footers When Sending Email GreenTools for Microsoft Apps (G4MS) Now Supports Footers When Sending Email
Posted by March 29, 2023
BVSTools >> BVSTools Announcements >> GreenTools for Microsoft Apps (G4MS) Specific Announcements
QuickBooks Online - Subtotals and Discounts Frustration QuickBooks Online - Subtotals and Discounts Frustration
Posted by March 16, 2023
Making the Switch From QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online - No Picnic Making the Switch From QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online - No Picnic
Posted by March 16, 2023
BVSTools Software Verified on V7R5 and Power10 BVSTools Software Verified on V7R5 and Power10
Posted by December 9, 2022
BVSTools >> BVSTools Announcements
Microsoft Office 365 Servers and Random Errors Issue Microsoft Office 365 Servers and Random Errors Issue
Posted by November 14, 2022
BVSTools >> BVSTools Software Discussion >> Email Tools (MAILTOOL) Specific Discussion
Sending/Resending Emails Using a MIME File with MAILTOOL Sending/Resending Emails Using a MIME File with MAILTOOL
Posted by November 8, 2022
Sending an HTML Email on Your IBM i Using MAILTOOL Sending an HTML Email on Your IBM i Using MAILTOOL
Posted by November 1, 2022
Transferring License Keys from One System to Another Transferring License Keys from One System to Another
Posted by October 31, 2022
BVSTools >> BVSTools Software Discussion

© Copyright 1983-2020 BVSTools
GreenBoard(v3) Powered by the eRPG SDK, MAILTOOL Plus!, GreenTools for Google Apps, jQuery, jQuery UI, BlockUI, CKEditor and running on the IBM i (AKA AS/400, iSeries, System i).