Forums >> Programming >> Open Source >>
Jade is Now Known as Pug?

Posted:
bvstone

I know, it's been a while since I posted an update but I've actually been busy duplicating an application written in eRPG using node.js.

The application in question is how we keep track of our customers, their license keys, and what software they have installed.  It's not super complicated, yet still a good exercise.

During this project I have created my own modules for retrieving data and being able to easily display it using Express and Jade.  Well, today I decided I wanted to put together a short demo of these updates and while setting up my test environment I get this message:

npm WARN deprecated jade@1.11.0: Jade has been renamed to pug, please install the latest version of pug instead of jade

Well, this is great <tic>.  Just when I'm getting comfortable with Jade they go and change the name.  Talk about confusing.  

It turns out that the name is trademarked by someone else and they were forced to change.  

On one hand I understand why someone would want to protect their trademark, but I also would have hoped that before naming something the name would be researched for availability as well.  I understand most of these open source projects start out with mainly the hope of becoming something large, but still...  :)

I'll update this post in the future when I get around to researching how easy or hard this change is going to be.

Last edited 05/09/2016 at 09:00:31

Copyright 1983-2017 BVSTools
GreenBoard(v3) Powered by the eRPG SDK, MAILTOOL Plus!, GreenTools for Google Apps, jQuery, jQuery UI, BlockUI, CKEditor and running on the IBM i (AKA AS/400, iSeries, System i).